Should I Hire a Renovator?
DIY projects have increased in popularity due to home improvement shows and publications. Small DIY projects can be rewarding and fun – if you are prepared and have the proper skills. But before you start knocking down walls and running wiring, ask yourself the following:
- Do you have a clear idea of what you want your renovation to look like?
- Do you have the time to complete the renovation?
- Have you ever undertaken a renovation like this before and have the necessary skills? If not, do you have the time and resources to learn the skills?
- Do you know and have everything (materials, tools, etc.) you will need to complete the renovation? Or know where to obtain the necessary materials.
- Are you familiar with the applicable building codes and permits? And do you understand all the safety issues.
- If you cannot complete the renovation according to your original schedule, are you and your family prepared to handle the extended inconvenience?
- Do they have the time and skills required for this project? Will you need assistance, if so, who will assist you?
- Are you familiar with the structure of your home (ie. how knocking down a wall will affect the structure)?
- Have you considered the hidden costs associated with doing it yourself?
It is easy to look at the cost of hiring a professional renovator and think only of labor and materials. But remember they offer you an important service – years of experience, the right tools, a network of suppliers and subcontractors, and an in-depth understanding of building standards, cost estimating, scheduling, and the latest construction techniques and materials.